Monday 11 November 2013

Madtraxx, CMB Prezzo in DJ Drama remix-tape

KENYAN music stars Madtraxx and CMB Prezzo will be among the four East African music artistes to be featured in a soon-to-be-released remix-tape by the renowned American hip-hop artiste and disc jockey DJ Drama.

Drama, who performed on Saturday at the second edition of the Jameson Live Party in Nairobi, was first known as the official DJ for Grand Hustle recording artiste TI. He is popular for hosting mix-tapes, most notably his successful Gangsta Grillz series. Other EA artistes on the remix-tape will be Uganda's Klear Kut members Navio and JB.

Speaking to Word Is, the 35-year-old singer, also known for doing the Dedication series with American rapper Lil Wayne, said he settled on featuring the two Kenyan artistes because they stood out among many.

“I was personally very pleased by the two artistes lyrical and vocal power and I was like 'let's have them on board'. I have also come across a few Kenyan DJs who have proved to be so much fun to work with. However, I am yet to decide on who I would like to work with in future. I love Kenya, more so because my President Barack Obama has his roots right here. It's pretty awesome,” he said.

Drama, who broke into the commercial world in his mid-20s, added that no matter how challenging it is, he finds it “cool” being a music artiste and a DJ at the same time.

“I started as a DJ and I have got a lot of opportunities that don't come so often to a DJ so it's quite a blessing to have such an illustrious career. To transcend being a DJ is humbling, to go around the world and getting recognised. It's an honour being able to create and play the music, putting up albums and just being part of the culture. But first, I had to be a student of the game. I lived up loving hip-hop and loving music. I have since put up a lot of work in creating a legacy and working even harder to leave a much bigger legacy,” he says.

He terms his performance to the song Swagger Like Us at the 2008 Grammy Awards alongside Jay Z, Kanye West, TI and Lil Wayne as his biggest stage so far, terming it a “pretty exciting experience for me.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment